Friday, June 10, 2011

The Summer of the Swans by Betsy Byars

I have re-read this book because I picked it up at a book sale just so I could have it in my library. I think that I first read it in second grade. Summer of the Swans is what I consider realistic fiction for intermediate grade levels. This book is about Sara and her family and a very important summer for Sara. We get to know Sara very well as we see almost every aspect of her life and get to see her grow up a lot through the book. When summer starts she dislikes her brother due to the constant babysitting and the stigma. Her brother has autism and their relationship changes a lot especially when her brother gets lost in the woods looking for the swans. Sara comes to be more accepting and appreciative of her brother and the challenges he faces as well as the love and adoration he has in his heart.

5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment