Thursday, December 23, 2010

Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey

To say I was a little bit afraid to pick up Bright Shiny Morning would be a lie. I was not afraid to read a book by an author rife with social, moral and ethical controversy but instead I was afraid of what people would think of me reading it. Well, I am so glad I grabbed this book from the bargain bin and at 1.97 it was a steal.

Bright Shiny Morning has managed to leave me floored. The book does not have just a single plot; but rather, contains several stories of people's lives and efforts to endure in modern Los Angeles. Frey tells of two teens that have left their broken homes and head to LA, living on the love they have for each other. He tells of a naive yet determined woman held back by her shyness. And he tells of a homeless man whose life ambition was to be an alcoholic, yet finds himself looking for answers. The book includes many more, interleaving the stories between the pages. He provides touching glimpses of these people's lives leaving readers wanting additional information.

James Frey’s wonderful storytelling captivates readers like they are there with him as the novel discloses the ugly truths of LA. Definitely glad I took the risk.

4 Stars !!

No comments:

Post a Comment