Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Winter of our Disconnect by Susan Maushart

I searched high and low at the chain bookstores before finally breaking down and ordering The Winter of Our Disconnect by Susan Maushart from Amazon. I just want to let you know that I sit here writing this I have my email, facebook, and two blogs open in Firefox on my computer.
Maushart is a single parent of three who after questioning the effect of decides to enforce a six-month ban of technology in the house, and write about the development. She actually has significant doubt up until the very minute she pulls the plug.
What makes this a wonderful read is its sense of balance. Maushart alternates between journaling her family’s experiences and observations with a bit more detachment and scrutiny.
I had to laugh out loud because I recognized my family throughout the book. The book is not a case to shut your media off but instead it’s a wake-up call to scrutinize how the media that we use uses us. One of the most interesting points the book makes is about multitasking, the conception that you can work, have five chat windows open, be reading four websites and listening to music and/or talking on the phone is ridiculous.
For myself, even before I started reading this book, I’ve already somewhat minimalizing when the TV is on and I am reading it is most likely turned to soundscape for the music. I have also removed the laptop from the bedroom. The only thing that I have not made a concession on is my IPhone but then again it is also my alarm clock and falling asleep listening to an audiobook can’t be all bad right?
5 STARS!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment