Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

I picked this book because of the title, and when I read the story description I knew I had to read it. Changing back & forth in time from the 1940's during WWII and then the1980's near Seattle, Washington, the story main character is Henry, a Chinese-American boy who meets Keiko, a Japanese-American girl. Living on the west coast during the War, Keiko and her family are relocated to an interment camp further inland. Upon finding of some of the Japanese families' belongings in the cellar of the Panama Hotel in the 1980's, Henry remembers a time when he & Keiko did not live so far apart. It's a story of camaraderie, of adoration, & of belonging. I loved that the piece that was found in the hotel basement was what kept this story together, making it complete. A very pleasurable read.

4 Stars

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this book, too. I'll get your review linked on War Through the Generations.

    ReplyDelete