Friday, May 6, 2011

The Lost Library: The Autobiography of a Culture by Walter Mehring

“A man can become addicted to reading as to any other intoxicant.” After Walter Mehring’s father dies in his arms he inherits a library containing thousands of volumes and his father’s love of literature.

Merhing tells the tale of burning his own books, his interment by the Nazi’s and his eventual exile to Vienna. I have always been interested in this time period and to read a first account which was not focused just on the Holocaust was a treat. Mehring goes through many “jaunts” and describes second hand book stores with such alliterations I feel like I am there.

After reading this book I feel I have found a comrade in arms as Mehring and I have the same philosophy. I am addicted to reading.

4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment