Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Lily comes from a humble Chinese family in an average village, but soon after her feet are bound at the age of seven, the local matchmaker sees the possibility to arrange a marriage into a prosperous family. In preparation, Lily is bound in official friendship to Snow Flower, and the story tells the multifaceted account of their childhood, adolescence and adult years, until a series of cataclysmic events turn their lives upside down.

I found the friendship between the two girls touching from the start, and as they grew older, their bond just grew stronger and deeper than the bonds they had with their individual husbands. The character of Lily was credible, amiable, and sympathetic, even though she caused some of her own problems.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and recommend it to anyone who enjoyed Wild Swans (One of my favorites from college).

5 Stars

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I hope to read it at some point this year, but I want to read Dreams of Joy first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy, I enjoyed this novel as well. The foot binding was horrifying (especially since I wear size 12 shoe!)

    ReplyDelete