Tuesday, May 3, 2011

You Know When the Men Are Gone by Siobhan Fallon

You Know When the Men Are Gone by Siobhan Fallon is an amazing anthology of short stories about soldiers and their families living on the base at Fort Hood. Each story depicts a snapshot of home life with or without the man of the family present. Some of the men are in Iraq while others are on base or returning to base after their tour is completed.

The most touching story for me was Remission. Ellen Roddy's teenage daughter Delia has been acting out because of her mother's illness. While Dad, has stayed on base to help his family; he has been more caught up with the military than his family. I was in tears by the time I finished.

I highly recommend this book because it is a great read and because it will raise the level of awareness regarding the sacrifices soldiers and families are making to ensure our freedoms. I won’t take this for granted any longer.

5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment