Monday, August 29, 2011

I’ll Mature When I’m Dead by Dave Barry

Dave Barry materializes like a ghost out of retirement with a new anthology of works about such diverse topics as parenthood, and colonoscopies, with parodies of 24 and Twilight (one of my favorites) thrown in for good measure.
Even though I love Dave Barry, and he's hilarious to the highest degree there were times during the book that he's too clichéd for me. This book is a ideal balance of what Barry does best. Barry is retired from newspaper column writing, so he has freedom to make these essays without editorial constraints. He's older, wiser, and in a introspective mood but he’s also amusing, silly and downright juvenile at times. But then he balances the goofiness with an essay about his brother's cancer and the need to get a colonoscopy. Or he gets emotional about his son's wedding. This book is a perfect blend.

5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment